- Sedative Properties
- Helps Regulate Sleep
- Anti Cancer Agent
- High Antioxidant
- Boost Immune System
- Protects Liver - Detoxes The Body
- Menstral Disorders
- Relieves Cough & Nasal Congestion
- Repels Insects
Star Anise essential oil llicium verum
The most notable health benefits of star anise include its ability to promote healthy skin, prevent fungal infections, support respiratory health, lower your risk of cancer, stimulate the immune system, optimize digestion, boost circulation and aid sleep.
Numerous active compounds within star anise contribute to an extensive list of health benefits and have been used by Asian traditional medicines for centuries. One of the major compounds within star anise is shikimic acid which is the primary ingredient used for the past 15 plus years to synthesize the antiviral drug oseltamivir, known by the common name as Tamilflu. Besides shikimic acid, star anise contains number of other potent ingredients that have been linked to numerous healing properties including:
- Anti-inflammatory (reducing pain and swelling of muscles and joints—rheumatoid arthritis);
- Decreases body stress (reducing depression and anxiety symptoms);
- Improves sleep;
- Enhances digestion;
- Strong Anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-fungal;
- Promotes healthy skin (good anti-microbial agent);
- Regulates blood pressure and improves circulation;
- Improves bone health;
- Cancer fighting properties.
Number of powerful phytonutrients (flavonoids, lignans, terpenes and phenylpropanoids) such as anethole, limonene, linalool, quercetin, alpha-pipene, beta-pipene and nerolidol have been identified in star anise. Research has shown many of these compounds to be potent anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-microbial and free radical scavengers.